There is a known hardware issue when libata is used with certain TSSTcorp TS-L623D drives. The user might experience random system freezes for a few minutes periodically. The problem mostly occurs on Acer and Asus laptop computers.
It seems that the firmware of the TS-L623D stops responding after being continuously polled by hald-addon-storage.
Affected firmware versions
- Acer: All firmware versions including AC00 and AC01
- Asus: All firmware versions including AS05 and AS99
- Samsung: SC02
Good firmware versions
- keep a CD in the TS-L632D drive or
- kill the hald-addon-storage process or
- cross-flash the drive firmware of TS-L632D to the SC03 version.
How to cross-flash
Be warned that you are at your own risk to cross-flash the firmware of the drive. Also it might void the warranty.
- Download the Samsung firmware update utility http://www.samsungodd.com/KorLib/File/sfdnwin.exe
- Download the Samsung SC03 firmware http://www.samsungodd.com/korlib/download.asp?no=&fname=200702081154530571_TSL632D_SC03.BIN&path=/UploadFiles/FW/FWDOWNLOAD/KOR/
- Run "sfdnwin -nocheck" to crossflash.